Google+ Hangouts let us chat with up to 9 other individuals. Typically, on the Because Money Podcast we invite one or two guests to allow ample time for all participants to interact within the 30 minute pre-recorded podcast.
Getting Setup to Join a Because Money Podcast
If you’re a scheduled guest for a Because Money Podcast we recommend before you join us for the first time, that you follow the steps below prior to the day of the broadcast:
1. If you don’t have one already, sign up for a Google+ Account. If you have a Google or Gmail account already you can access Google+ with the same login. Having a Google+ account allows us to invite you the day of the Hangout.
2. Ensure your computer meets the Google Hangout system requirements to make sure you’re using a supported browser and operating system, and that your processor and bandwidth are sufficient (a wired connection as opposed to Wi-Fi is recommended). We also recommend using Firefox or Google Chrome for best Hangout results.
3. Download and install the latest version of the Google Talk plugin.
4. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your webcam if you are using a standalone webcam. If you have an Apple laptop or desktop with a built in camera you don’t have to worry about driver updates.
5. Webcams don’t work well in low light situations. For the best quality Hangout, make sure you’re in a well lit room from a light source that’s coming from behind your camera. Try to avoid any bright windows or joining the Hangout from a public location with too much background distraction.
6. Use a head set. This will allow you to hear the Hangout better and also prevents any feedback during the live broadcast. Headphones with a built in microphone aren’t required but definitely recommended. We also ask all participants to mute their microphone when not speaking during the live hangout to obtain better quality sound during the broadcast. Simply click the microphone button at the top of the hangout window to mute/unmute your microphone.
7. The day of the Hangout you will be sent an invite about 1/2 hour before the scheduled pre-arranged start time. We ask that you join a minimum of 10 minutes before the scheduled episode start. We spend a few minutes before we go live to ensure everything is working correctly for all participants so you’ll have plenty of time to correct things if there is technical difficulties. If a hangout isn’t performing well on your system, we recommend closing down all unnecessary programs running in the background.
Sometimes you may also want to try restarting your computer if there is still a bad connection. If this is needed we’ll be sure to invite you back into the Hangout. Just remember we may be live when you re-connect.
8. We appreciate if you pass along your participation in the Because Money Podcast to your sphere of influence on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ etc. after the broadcast. This helps spread the word and increases the viewers to the Hangout. The live broadcast is posted on our homepage and we ask that you share the following link: www.becausemoney.ca
If you are Tweeting about the Because Money Podcast, use the Twitter Hashtag #becausemoney
If you have questions or concerns prior to your scheduled Because Money Podcast don’t hesitate to contact us to answer any of your questions. We look forward to having you join us on the Because Money Podcast.